Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Gristle and Grit and My Big Ass Boots

Gristle and grit are words and imagery I choose to describe with how I get by through life these days.
I wear these "ass kicker" boots so much that my heels are worn down and the leather is starting to crack.
My hands are rough and as I wear rings to distract from my knobby fingernails. Not sure if I will ever get them to grow.
My phone is so jank I can barely read the screen, and I have left it in so many places, but it always gets returned to me because no one would want to steal this baby.
And since I don't have internet on my phone, I only check my mail about twice a day, hoping I don't miss anything important.
When I do get to my computer in the morning or after a long night's work, I can't listen to music because my speakers are broken, and God forbid I pull the computer too far away from the outlet, it will die.
Once my monthly subway card runs out, its to the bike, and I will try to commute via bike for the rest of the summer to save money.
Everytime I hop on the bike, I know that this ride could be my last, and knowing I am not covered by any insurance, I pray that all goes well.
I will take you up on that meal if you offer, and I will have the rest of your dish when you are done.
I am scrappy and I get by.
I will eat the gristle off the meat, and the fat off your bone.
I walk around in my faux leather jacket and the only scarf that I have not yet lost, passing window displays of pretty little things. Pretty little things that I would love to wear with my arm around the man of my dreams, oh but these scenes are just pretty little dreams.
But I move on, walk a little taller, and dig my heels into the concrete a little more. The heavy thud of my big ol' boots let's you know I am coming and you better get out of the way.
I rarely walk slow and I get off on the ability to bob 'n' weave through a crowd.
I say my please and thank you's and I do my best to treat everyone the way I would like to be treated.
I think of a different life I could have or paths I could have taken. I wonder how I got here.
I see the people I work with who spend all day down in the basement cleaning and doing the dirty work that no one wants to do. My heart breaks for them, but they are the one's with the constant smile and bright eyes.
I want to shun those who are more fortunate, but remind myself that everyone's path is their own, you can control no one but yourself, and the negative energy you get by doing that just hurts you. So I refrain.
Women walk around in high heels and sundresses contoured to their body. Not a wrinkle.
Well, I can't ride my bike in heels and I'd break an ankle trying to bob 'n' weave, and the dress, well it better be wrinkle free fabric or its a no go.
I wear a hard outer shell to protect my soft inner being.
Ain't nobody going to take care of myself but me.
So with gristle and grit, I dig my boots a little harder into that concrete and I hold my head up high.
I will get by.

1 comment:

  1. Hi how are you?

    I was looking through your blog, and I found it interesting, and inspiring to me, so I thought why not post a comment.

    I have blogs also obviously, and would like to invite you to become my blog friend.

    I mostly post about the California experience through the perspective of personal writings, and my art.

    Maybe you can become my friend, and follow, and I can also follow you, if that is okay.

    Well I hope to hear from you soon… :)

    Jesse Noe Mendez

    ReplyDelete